Apply For Aid - Getting Started
Watch this Video (7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA) for help in completing the FAFSA.
SIU's Federal School Code is 042169
FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID AND SELECTIVE SERVICE
What is the Selective Service System?
By law, most men between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register with the Selective Service.
Selective Service registration is not the same as enlisting in the U.S. Military. If there were a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth to serve in the Armed Forces.
If you are applying for federal student aid for the first time, or your Student Aid Report (SAR) indicated that you must register with the Selective Service, follow the steps below.
Who Must Register?
Male U.S. citizens or aliens living in the U.S., born in or after 1960, are required to be registered between the ages of 18 and 25.
How to Register:
- Choose the "Register Me" option on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov, and the Department of Education will provide Selective Service with the information to register you.
- Online here. (Note: Students must have a Social Security Number to use this registration method.)
- Selective Service forms are available at any U.S. Post Office. You may fill out, sign, and mail the form to Selective Service. If you have not yet obtained a Social Security number, you may leave the respective space blank.
- Men who live overseas can register at any U.S. Embassy or consular office.
Who is Not Required to Register?
The following are not required to register:
- Men who are temporarily in the U.S. on a student or visitor’s visa.
- Men born on or before December 31, 1959.
- Male permanent resident aliens who entered the U.S. at age 26 or over.
If you are a permanent resident alien who entered the U.S. on or after your 26th birthday, you must supply proof of your date of arrival in the U.S. and of your immigration status upon arrival. If you have questions about which documents to provide, contact the SIU’s financial aid office.
Age 26 and Over and Not Registered?
Men who were supposed to register between the ages of 18 and 25 and have reached the age of 26 without registering with the SSS, should complete a Status Information Letter Request Form (SIL).
The form is available at www.sss.gov and should be submitted to both the Financial Aid Office and the SSS along with supporting documentation.
Based on the student’s situation, SIU may grant a waiver of the Selective Service registration requirement for financial aid purposes.
For more information, visit the Selective Service website at www.sss.gov
Start Your Fall Financial Aid Application Early! File the 2019-20 FAFSA!
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019-2020 academic year is now available here. The U.S. Department of Education redesigned the FAFSA website to make it mobile-friendly and also introduced a new smartphone application called myStudentAid.gov that allows you to complete the FAFSA on your phone.
File Early to Avoid Delays!
- Use SIU's Federal Code 042169 to ensure we receive your FAFSA information. Once your FAFSA information has been received, we will contact you with important information on the next steps.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, when possible, to import your 2017 tax information directly from the IRS.
- Read carefully and don’t rush through questions.
Don't forget to sign your FAFSA with your FSA ID. If you are a dependent student, your parent or guardian also needs to sign your FAFSA with an FSA ID. If you are a first-time filer, create your FSA ID as soon as possible. Your FSA ID serves as your electronic signature.
For more information on filing the FAFSA, Visit Federal Student Aid.